Craft of Research
Craft of Research Instructor: Marie Vendettuoli Room 20 Howe Hall
Day 1 – Wed, June 8
Examples of Different Publication Types:
- Boardman, R. “Improving Tool Support for Personal Information Management”
- “Designers Make Data Much Easier to Digest“
Reference Manager Resources
Homework Due Tues 6/14, unless otherwise stated.
- Individual Blog Post: 25 – 50 word response to IRB training. What
did you learn? How does this relate to your previous
expectations of research? Are there points that you strongly
agree or disagree with? Why? Categorize this post “Craft of Research”
- Team Blog Post: As a team, select the tool you will use for tracking
references. Post your selection, why you made that choice and
anything you think could be improved about your system. Categorize this
post ”Craft of Research” and your team name.
- On your own: Complete the research quiz (7 questions, multiple choice) by Monday midnight (6/13) of next week. Categorize this post “Craft of Research”
- Next class: Your problem paragraph is due next week! Be ready to
share with the class.
Day 2 – Wed, June15
Slides: Day 2 Slides
Homework: (due Tues, 6/21 unless otherwise stated)
- As a team: Post your problem paragraph (if not already done). Categorize this with your team name.
- Individually: Respond to two teams with the research question that you think their problem paragraph suggests.
- Individually: Post two (2) references that will be part of your lit review. Cite as in your reference list.
- Describe how you came across this reference.
- Summarize the research in ~50 words/article
- Do not duplicate references posted by fellow interns
- Categorize these posts as “Craft of Research”
- Sign up for your Journal Club time slot. There is a doodle link from the Journal Club page.
- Todd and Sharrod will lead this week’s discussion
- Read the paper posted for Journal Club and be prepared for discussion this Friday (6/17).
Day 3 – Wed, June 22
Homework – due June 28 unless otherwise stated
- Individually: Post a 25-50 word response to the Craft of Research text. Describe something you learned by reading/skimming its contents AND what section or example you found most useful. Categorize post as “Craft of Research”
- As a team: Categorize post as “Craft of Research”
- Post one example of a question your potential audience might have regarding the team’s problem area or solution. Describe your plan for refuting it.
- Identify an example of how your research contradicts current publications. How will you address this?
- Preparing for ethics module [Individual]: Respond to this web article Categorize post as “Ethics” http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2011/06/14/repulsion-is-part-of-diversity/
- Read Journal Club article posted. Dela and Ramy will present