I was scrolling through my OneDrive photos and realized I never talked about our final Major Course Activity (MCA) project. So here it is:
My team was tasked with creating a C6 application that demonstrated the power of shaders (I explain the C6 and shaders in earlier posts). We split our responsibilities up between the four of us and I decided to create a day-night cycle for our game. I had only done this once before and it was in a simplistic tile-based code platform, so doing it in the programming language C# was far more challenging. However, I pulled it off!
The final product? The game starts out at noon, but as the sun moves down towards the horizon a red/yellow tent comes into the sky and stars begin to appear as it gets darker. (and by ‘appear’ I mean that literary. I set up a big spherical net around the game world that spawns particles of yellow and light blue on its surface as the suns angle approaches the horizon). By the time the sun set, nearly all the red has left the sky and the otherwise black night sky is dotted with thousands of stars. (In my original version, day sounds of birds fade away and are replaced with crickets, but this didn’t translate into the C6 for some reason. Alas). The night remains like this for a few minutes, dark and blue-tented, until the sun reaches the east, red dawn light begins to fill the sky, and the stars are replaced with a blue, Iowa morning.
I had a lot of fun making this and seeing it come together! I’ve always loved creating worlds in whatever medium I have, so I plan to do and learn more with this kind of thing in the future.