The lunch today was baked potatos which I was very excited about when going through the line. However, once I sat down and began to dig in to my deliciously topped potato, it quickly became apparent the potato was undercooked. My knife would barely cut it. I got about a quarter in and decided that was enough. Luckily, some other REUs and I decided to order in a pizza.
Other then the food, my day went alright. It does feel like I didn’t get much done but I was working hard the entire day. I brought my noise cancelling headphones today so the number of distractions I encountered was an all time low. My team had another meeting with our professor and the encroaching survey is starting to feel like it will be very difficult to be ready for. We’ve got a lot of work to do on the website, not to mention writing out the survey questions, making our poster, and writing our conference paper. Dr. Dorneich threw us a lot of great ideas while in the meeting but they increased the amount of time until completion by quite a bit, I believe. Well, I’ve got a lot of work to do. Wish me luck.
Continued to work on getting the graphs and data visualizations to look good and work properly. Also put in a little time to writing the paper, which I plan to continue to work on it for an hour or two each day for the rest of the program. Our team has a meeting with Dr. Dorneich tomorrow and we’re presenting our questions we will propose to the users in our user study. I plan on writing what we’re going to present to each of the users tomorrow.
I decided to go and work outside on a personal project over my lunch break today. I’m glad I did because it got me refreshed to work inside in the VRAC space. I think I’ll continue to go outside and eat or hang out when I’m able to. Hoping that I’ll have a writing spurt tomorrow where I don’t run into any mental blocks because that seems to happen to me a lot while I write. We shall see.
I’ve been working on this project for about a week and a half now and I feel like it’s really starting to come along nicely. I had the first meeting with the professor in charge of it and he seemed happy about the progress we were making and where we planned to take our data visualizations.
Last week and the beginning of this week has been a series of small victories. Achievements like creating a graph off of dynamic data or successfully passing new data to another part of the program provide small rewards that make the long work days go by quickly and seem much shorter then eight hours. However, the feeling of short days sometimes leave me disappointed in the small amount that what achieved during that day. Overall though, I feel that our website is progressing to a point where we might actually be able to hit our deadline next Thursday.
The current goal is to create a working website with dynamic data visualizations that can be tested with 3-5 subjects. They’ll be given scenarios that require them to use different parts of our website and will be encouraged to talk about their actions and give us feedback on their experience. This will give us the opportunity to record what we would do to continue our project if we had more time to work on it. That way the grad student that takes over this project will know what we believe would be the best course of action moving forward.
Although, I’ve learned a lot in the short amount of time I have been here, mostly about creating websites with React and D3 but these were APIs I was interested in working with. I’m happy to have decided to join and I’m interested in what the coming weeks will bring.
Well, this is officially my first blog post. If you don’t know me, my name is AJ Hanus and I’m a senior in Computer Engineering at Iowa State. I was asked to fill in on a team to help them complete their project in time. I’m excited to join the Data Viz group and we are beginning to work on coding part of the project. I was gone last Friday due to a trip I planned before I knew I would be filling in so this week will be my first full week working on the team.
The Data Viz team has began working on the development of the website. We chose to use React.js and Bootstrap. I’m the only member with experience with these frameworks and my experience is very limited. I hope that everyone will be able to catch on. I’m excited about working on the project but Gabriel is gone today so it is hard to know exactly where I should be working right now. I think the biggest issue I am having with our application right now is deciding how much of the frameworks classes I should be using and how many I should write myself.