Extracurricular Activities will be scheduled two nights a week plus some weekends. We highly encourage you to participate in these activities, as it contributes to the team-building of our group, and it gives you something fun to do besides sitting in front of a computer!
Please see the program calendar for a schedule of these activities. Please suggest other activities that you think would be good for the entire group.
- Ada Hyden – park, fishing, trails
- Ames City Parks and Recreation
- Disc Golf
- Farmers Markets:
- Furman Aquatic Center
- Golf courses:
- Historical Stuff
- Ice Skating
- Insect Zoo
- ISU Climbing Wall
- McFarland Park and Story County Conservation Center
- Memorial Union – bowling, billiards, music, art studio
- Movie Theaters:
- Octagon Art Center
- Perfect Games – Bowling, Laser Tag, Arcade
- Reiman Gardens
- Story Theater Company
- Outdoor Equipment Rental at Iowa State
- Outdoor Equipment Rental from JAX
- Lied Recreation Center – indoor courts for basketball, badminton, volleyball, and racquetball, a climbing wall, steam room, two indoor tracks, boxing studio, plus weight and cardio equipment.
- State Gym – pool and diving platform, spa, two rock climbing walls, cycling studio, fitness suite with yoga and Pilates/Barre fitness classrooms, basketball, volleyball, and badminton courts, weights and cardio equipment, two indoor tracks, plus outdoor equipment rentals.
- Beyer Gym – competition pool, indoor/outdoor basketball courts, plus racquetball and squash courts.
- Stable Run – 18-hole disc-golf course.
- Ice Arena – ice skating and rentals.
- Memorial Union
- M-Shop – Live music and entertainment
- Workspace – walk-in art studios for painting, glass, jewelry, clay, sewing, wood shop, and screen printing.
- CyBowl & Billiards – bowling, billiards, and arcades.
- Movies and Classes – inside and outside options. Tango, swing and belly dance lessons. Various arts and crafts options.
- Adventureland Amusement Park
- Blank Park Zoo
- Boone & Scenic Valley Railroad
- ICU Paintball
- High Trestle Trail
- Jordan Creek Mall
- Ledges State Park – hiking, tubing, canoeing
- Living History Farms
- Science Center of Iowa
- Seven Oaks – canoe, kayak and river tube floats
- Spinning Wheels Rollerskating Rink
- Story City Antique Carousel
- Valley Junction Farmer’s Market
- The Other Art Show
Look Up Events:
- Ames Visitor and Convention Bureau
- Greater Des Moines Convention and Visitors Bureau
Here are some resources to learn about religious services available in Ames.