Week 6 – Knee High by 4th of July

Indeed, the corn is thriving, and as I mentioned, it’s not just knee-high; in some places, it’s even head-high. Although this saying is typically associated with sweet corn rather than field corn, it’s still a nice expression of the summer’s progress.

We had an exciting game design session with the Storm Lake students, and after much brainstorming and creative collaboration, we finally settled on a name for our game: “Sabiduría,” which means wisdom in Spanish.

Following that, we dived into our machine learning project and began training some of our models. The process was time-consuming, but we were determined to make progress for next week. As the night fell, I embarked on a unique experience, joining my friend on a picture tour of campus. He had an old film camera, and it was cool to handle its mechanical aspects and appreciate the complexity it offered compared to a digital camera.

During the tour, my friend showed me the buildings where he had taken classes, and it was a fantastic opportunity to step inside buildings I had been passing by for the past month. Exploring the campus through the lens of an analog camera added a nostalgic and artistic touch to the journey, making it a memorable experience.

After returning home for the weekend, I decided to be strategic about my run and chose to do it during the hottest part of the day. Being someone who tans easily, I welcomed the opportunity to soak up some sun while running on the familiar gravel roads I grew up with. It turned out to be not be such a horrible experience but I’ll certainly enjoy the cooler weather later this week

On Monday night, I traveled back to Ames, eagerly anticipating the grand fireworks display. I convinced Andric to join me, as he had never seen a fireworks show before. I hyped up his enthusiasm by telling him about the spectacular finales I had witnessed in the past.

However, to my disappointment, the Ames fireworks display didn’t quite live up to my expectations. The entire show lasted only 15 minutes, with the finale lasting a mere 30 seconds. Nonetheless, seeing the parking lot filled with excited spectators gave me a taste of what an Ames game day would look like, and that aspect of the night was enjoyable.