Reflection on Last Week

Hey everyone!

I thought I’d share my eventful week with all of you. It had its ups and downs, but honestly, it was a pretty cool experience overall.

So, at the beginning of the week, I had to gear up for a CUNY presentation. Let me tell you, it was good practice, but boy, was it nerve-wracking! Public speaking isn’t my forte, and I found myself wishing I could be one of those confident speakers who effortlessly captivate the audience. Maybe, just maybe, I’ll consider taking a class on public speaking in college. But you know what? Despite the nerves, it was nice to get some feedback on areas I could improve on. So, I’m determined to work on my speaking skills and get better over time.

The CUNY presentations were really intriguing, and there was this one project that absolutely captured my attention – “VR as a Learning Tool for Students with Disabilities.” Specifically, they focused on creating a driving simulation to assist student drivers who have ADHD. I mean, seriously, how cool is that idea? It’s such an innovative and thoughtful application of VR technology.

What made it even more fascinating for me was that my own research group is currently exploring how VR can be used to enhance teaching research writing. So, seeing how VR can be utilized to teach other subjects, especially in a way that accommodates different learning styles, was truly eye-opening. For some people, traditional methods of learning might not be the easiest to absorb, but VR opens up a whole new realm of possibilities.

Overall, I was genuinely impressed by the impactful research projects taking place at CUNY and the incredible presentations that showcased these groundbreaking ideas.

Once the presentations were over, I went back to working on my research project. This meant conducting interviews and finalizing some A/B testing. I have to admit, it’s been a pretty good experience so far, but Unity, oh Unity, you can be a real pain sometimes! It has taken me over a week just trying to get NPCs to walk around using splines and nav mesh, and I’ve tried various methods. But alas, I keep facing failures. I guess it’s time to take a break, clear my mind, and come back to it with a fresh perspective.

Now, let me share a little anecdote from the weekend. Saturday was a good day, Rebekah managed to convince me to go to the pool, and you know what? I’m really glad I agreed. The feeling of the sun and the fresh air was just what I needed after a hectic week of presentations and project work. After, we got mouthwatering burgers at B-Bops. It was the perfect timing – burgers after swimming! And let me tell you, their fries were surprisingly up to par with McDonald’s.

So, here’s to a week filled with growth, learning, and a fair share of fun. I can’t wait to see what the upcoming days have in store for me. Until then, take care!