Week 2 – Executive

Finally, work can begin, marking the start of the 9-to-5 life. But before diving into the workweek, let’s do a quick recap of Friday and the weekend.

On Friday, we took a Myers-Briggs Assessment, which revealed that my personality type is ESTJ-A, also known as Executive. This result didn’t come as a surprise to me, considering the year I’ve spent in college Track, surrounded by a fantastic group of outgoing and confident men. Their influence has undoubtedly made me even more outgoing and confident as well.

Saturday was an exciting day as we visited an escape room in Des Moines. The escape room was game themed, adding an extra layer of enjoyment to solving various puzzles, such as axe throwing and a golf arcade game. After the exhilarating experience, I drove back home for the weekend and assisted my family in moving bricks for a garden. Unfortunately, I had to leave Sunday which meant missing out on one of my usual summer activities: helping with hay. It’s a bit of a bummer, as I’ve always enjoyed participating in that.

Monday turned out to be a fantastic day as we started our C++ classes. One of my primary goals this summer is to engage in more technical activities, and this was an excellent way to kick-start that ambition. Having taken two coding classes last semester, I didn’t feel too nervous. Instead, I was excited to learn something new and get my first taste of Visual Studio.

As a Cyber Operations major, my coding experience has been quite old-school, focusing more on memory allocation to write secure code that’s resistant to exploitation and vulnerabilities. Consequently, our coding classes are in C, a language that’s been around for over 50 years. We would SSH from the command prompt into a server, which, though reliable gets old after a while.

Thus, I was absolutely blown away by the sleekness and user-friendliness of Visual Studio. It made learning C++ a far more engaging and stress-free experience. Debugging and running my programs became quick and effortless, eliminating the need to memorize command-line prompts like gcc or ./a.out. We flew through the slide deck, and all gained a solid foundational understanding of the syntax of this new language.

I’m genuinely excited to delve deeper into C++ on Wednesday and have the opportunity to experiment further with Visual Studio.