Starting the class sessions

We started the week off by learning C++. I had already learned C++ alongside C and assembly language a couple of semesters ago, and considering my knowledge of Java, I found the material to be quite easy. Still, it felt nice to go over the basics and complete the challenges provided, and I also got to explore vectors for the first time. What I enjoyed most from these sessions was checking in on my teammates where I answered any of their questions, guided them when they got stuck, and tried my best at explaining conditionals and classes. I realize object-oriented programming can be difficult to grasp as it demands abstract thinking, but I’m sure with time it’ll become easier to comprehend even for those who are currently struggling with it, especially since we have Nick and Adam who do a great job at teaching. In the following weeks, we’ll learn about modeling and unity. I have no clue what those are.

Besides learning C++, we also began to have luncheon lectures. I appreciate the talks given by James Oliver and Eliot. When I first heard about PhD programs this past year, I thought that they were meant for those who want to be professors (…I can’t imagine myself as a professor). However, James and Eliot made it clear that those with a PhD may choose to enter academia or the industry when deciding where to work and that, overall, grad school is extremely beneficial for opening up a multitude of opportunities. Now I’m starting to understand the value of continuing my education beyond my undergraduate degree (and why my major advisor wastes no moment to tell me about grad school). I already plan on pursuing a master’s or a PhD degree, though I’m still not sure what exactly for, but maybe I’ll have some idea by the end of the summer.