Time flies when you’re learning.

I used to perceive the experience of life through a mountainous lens, climbing and growing upward just to fall back into old patterns. I used to imagine that the only trauma I’d have to figure out was that from my childhood. Boy, was my lens out of focus… A shift in my perspective readjusted its focus. The pitstops I took no longer find like climbing back down the mountain. They began to feel like time for rest and reflection.

While catching up with my closest friend Krystal, I began to describe my experiences as a road trip. Occasionally steering off the main interstate to accomplish a side quest. Each side quest equipping me with the skills to get back on the road.

"In 200 miles, I see a split in the main road, somewhere where my choice directs the trajectory of my journey. This decision is graduate school. My decision will dictate a new destination", I envisioned.

When I think ahead to the next interstate I’ll merge onto, I want to have a clear view of what each road has to offer. So I’ve been obtaining the information to do so.

I’ve been mapping out my options. Making connections to ask clarifying questions. Slowly I am gaining the clarity I had been seeking.

My intention in attending this REU was to gain exposure to the work I imagined doing in the future. This experience is developing the tools, knowledge, and connections to know what direction I want to go when I meet the next intersection.

This journey of seeking clarity is wrapping up in 4 days.

Back to the main intersection to wrap up my undergraduate side quest!

2 Replies to “Time flies when you’re learning.”

1. Don’t forget U Dub (University of Washington’s Human-Centered Design and Engineering program).

Also, the universities list is a good start, but the next big step is people. Your graduate advisor matters a lot more than the location.

2. I always enjoy reading your posts as they put me deep in thought (my mind simply expands). I think you’ve been doing a great job at gathering information about graduate schools and determining which avenues you might head out to after your undergraduate program. Seeing your efforts motivates me to try to do the same once I’m back home.