Blog #9: The Return

I’m back.

I had a great Fourth of July weekend. I spent it with my boyfriend’s family in northern Illinois/Iowa and absolutely enjoyed having some time off. I did spend it doing some physical labor, but it was a nice change.

This week we are finishing up the MCAs. I like my project and wish I had infinite time to keep expanding the scope of my research, but this is not the case. I’m very happy with what I will have been able to accomplish by the end of the project, though.

Since my last blog, my second jamblock and ocarina have finished printing. I had a moment of pure joy the first time I tried to play this new ocarina (with 100% infill) because it sounds fantastic. I have no idea how it would compare to an actual good ocarina, but I really like the way it sounds and it’s infinitely better than the first one, which barely spoke.

Today I am focused on figuring out how to have a quantitative measure of the sound quality of these instruments that I have printed. While the difference is wildly noticeable to the untrained ear, I still need to have a way of proving that it exists. I’m going to try to analyze the data in Audacity. Apparently, I may go to the SICTR and use the podcast equipment so I have a good mic to do it with. We’ll see! I know a little about recording, but I know next to zero about analyzing it.

Here’s my song for today:

Joni Mitchell, put your music back on Spotify

Bye!