Week 4- The Dive

Yay! late night post, I guess it was my 2 am motivation today.
This week, we dove into Unity. I’ll be honest, I didn’t pick up anything brand new—not because the course wasn’t good, but because I’ve already dabbled with Unity a bit. I’m not an expert or anything, but I’ve got a decent handle on the basics. Despite this, I’m pretty sure the other interns got a ton out of it. In fact, I’d never imported anything other than characters before, so that was a bit of a new twist for me. Sadly, my shaders decided not to play nice, and my scene ended up looking a bit less impressive. But, no big deal, that was the only hiccup.

That week we also finished the T-shirt it took some time to settle on a color that we were all ok with, but eventually we got one. the final product is the rabbit on the front on the left side of the chest area (like a logo) and on the back we have a drawing of everyone made by Kris and VRAC. I like it a lot, I can’t wait to try it.

Now, let’s talk about the deeper dive. First, maybe I should explain for those who don’t know. Basically, the nine of us had to choose between three topics to study and work on for about three weeks. Then, we present our results at the end of this period. The topics were: XR, Machine Learning, and 3D Printing. I initially intended to put XR as my first choice, since I’m moderately confident with Unity and have some relevant experience. 3D printing didn’t seem like a bad idea either since I also have some experience in it. But, in the end, I somehow ended up putting Machine Learning as my first choice. Why? I’m not sure myself. Maybe the appeal of the unknown? Maybe I was swayed by the pitch? I might never know.

We made progress on our research project. We still had to get some reading done, but this time we also had to find sources ourselves. I couldn’t decide, so I ended up reading quite a bit (this indecisiveness, sigh). Still, it was interesting, even though my soul is weakening from all this reading. I also got to interview someone. The information gathered will definitely help in the design of our experience, especially setting up the AI. The moment to start designing is closer than ever.

I’ll leave the extracurriculars for my next post, which should follow soon since I don’t have much to say about out-of-work things this time (also because I am starting to get behind ‘0_0’). The game this time will be YOMI Hustle, a Steam game with an interesting concept. It’s hard to explain, but a suitable comparison would be to say it’s like playing a game of chess. Only after you’re done and someone wins, you get to see the whole battle animated in real time. Yes, all the actions. I have to say it looks cool.